Thursday, June 23, 2011

Microcosmos


I'm going to coin a term for Microcosmos: Beausgusting. Microcosmos is the most beausgusting movie ever made. Bugs! Yuck!

Microcosmos is a nature documentary that uses miniature cameras to film bugs going about their daily lives. There is a little bit of narration at the beginning at the end, but for the most part, it prefers to just stand back and let the action speak for itself, which is set to the musical score. It's stunningly photographed, and insect behavior sure is fascinating to watch.

Wait a minute. I hate bugs! They're really gross, even more so close up. I don't know why I was drawn to this. The beauty of nature is lovely to behold from afar, I guess, but I wouldn't want to be there. I caught myself more than once unconsciously lifting my feet off the floor while watching this movie, like these bugs were crawling under me. That's how vivid Microcosmos is.

What do you have to look forward to? A spider wrapping up a cricket in its thread in slow motion. A bunch of waterbugs trying to escape massive raindrops slamming into a pond. A weird caterpillar conga line. And need I forget: two ladybugs doing it. That's right. They're having sex! Awwwww yeah. Hot girl-on-girl action.

All joking aside, Microcosmos is a thoroughly engrossing nature documentary, and it's totally worth checking out if you like things like Planet Earth or Life. But if you're at all squeamish about watching gross bugs doing gross bug things, like I am, you should enter this one with caution.

1 comment: