Thursday, March 15, 2012

Tiny Furniture

Hi, everyone! I'm going to keep this one short, because for some reason, these independent character pieces are the genre I am the absolute worst at writing about. Still, I like to say a little bit about every movie I watch, so here goes:

Tiny Furniture is the story of Aura, an aspiring filmmaker who has just finished college, and is unsure of what to do next, so she moves back to her unwelcoming home in New York with her mom and overachieving sister. As she goes through her post-graduation crisis, we follow her through a series of bad decisions: she gets in a couple relationships with a couple of jerks, gets a lame job as a day hostess at a restaurant, falls back in with her old bad influence friend, and blows off her bestie from school.

I very much liked the movie. Newcomer Lena Dunham wrote, directed and starred in it, and it comes across as a pretty bold and fearless debut in all three categories. Her real mother and sister play the roles of her mother and sister, who are both quite good, too, and what you get is probably a pretty accurate portrayal of what Dunham's upbringing was probably like.

Dunham comes across as honest, funny, and self-deprecating, and she does great work at letting the viewer inside of her world. I'm looking forward to seeing more from her.

This might be the first time I said I'd keep one of these short and actually followed through. I deserve an award.

No comments:

Post a Comment