Friday, April 15, 2011

Source Code

Take one part The Matrix, one part Groundhog's Day and one part Quantum Leap and you have Source Code. I don't mean to say that it's unoriginal. Almost all sci-fi draws heavily from its predecessors. What counts is how the material is repurposed, and director Duncan Jones does a very good job of that.

Jake Gyllenhaal plays a soldier who wakes up in another man's body, on a Metra train heading into Chicago. Eight confusing minutes later, the train explodes and he wakes up in a tank of some kind. He is told that he is in the Source Code project, a not-quite-time-travel means of time travel through quantum physics gibberish (just go with it, it has its own internal logic when you watch it). They need to keep sending him back to the same moment of a terrorist attack earlier that day. He needs to find the bomb and the bomber before an attack on a much larger scale occurs, and he can only do it in these eight minute chunks before the train blows up again and he gets thrown back into his tank.

He's told that he can't alter the course of events, because he's not really in the past (quantum physics gibberish), but see, he begins to like the girl across from him (Michelle Monaghan), so he decides he has to try.

What follows is a lot of fun. There are several twists and turns that I won't reveal, but Duncan Jones wisely doesn't pound you in the face with them. They come about in the script naturally, and each new piece of information makes the story a little more intriguing. It has a bit of a message, but it doesn't take itself too seriously.

Jake Gyllenhaal is enjoyable to watch in movies. He's sort of positioned himself to be in Dicaprio-esque dramas, but he clearly has much more of a sense of humor than Dicaprio, who seems to have none at all. Michelle Monaghan is good, too. She's easy to like, maybe because she was in Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang, and she still carries some of that movie's residual awesomeness with her.

Vera Farmiga plays the officer he's communicating with outside of the Source Code. Her main job is to believe in him. And rounding out the cast is Jeffrey Wright, as the inventor of Source Code technology. He is always welcome in the movies I watch. He always makes odd choices in his performances, gives his characters interesting quirks, and makes them well-rounded and totally watchable.

There are some inconsistencies with the story if you think about it too hard. It's a hazard of time travel movies, and pretty much unavoidable. They have been thoughtfully couched in quantum physics gibberish. It's like on the Simpsons, when nerds were asking Lucy Lawless about continuity flaws in Xena: Warrior Princess, her answer was, "if it doesn't make sense, a wizard did it." Quantum Physics is the A Wizard Did It of science fiction.

Source Code is Duncan Jones' second film, after his acclaimed debut, Moon, and they share some thematic similarities to each other. He appears to be building himself up to be the next great cinematic science fiction storyteller. While I don't think I liked Source Code as much as Moon, it's still a strong second entry, and enough to make me eager for a third. B

14 comments:

  1. I won't see it, MAINLY because I think it looks kinda dumb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait a minute, you won't see this because you think it looks dumb, but you'll gladly shell out the cash to see Sucker Punch and Red Riding Hood? FYI, Source Code is the second best reviewed major release of the year so far, behind only Win Win. You should give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never said those didn't look dumb. Also I ACTUALLY like Zach Synder. I don't even know why I went and saw Red Riding Hood, I didn't really want to it was more or less the only thing out and I wanted to see a movie. I had already seen Rango, Paul hadn't come out yet, Insidious I didn't know existed until after it came out. so it was a "I'm bored" moment had Source code come out then I probably would've seen that instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to like Zack Snyder, I really do. Especially with him doing Superman. I think he's talented and ambitious, but has gotten maybe too showoff-y post Dawn of the Dead.

    You probably won't have to worry about not having movies to see for a while, it's a pretty packed summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah exactly there's a LOT that I want to see this summer and Source Code really isn't just in there. The problem with Synder is the slow motion in every other shot. I swear sucker punch was 45 minutes long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, people went on and on about how beautiful 300 looked, and he must have really took it to heart. He needs to learn: coherent story first, good pacing second, dynamic visuals and SPARING use of Slo-Mo third. At this point, pacing never even seems to come into his consideration.

    I reaaaaallly want his Superman to be good, though, so I'm pulling for him. He's been lining up a pretty stellar cast so far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah I agree, it's unfortunate because Guardians was seriously like BEAUTIFUL! and even sucker punch visually was really good, just GOD I've never seen a movie more boring. I think it's kinda funny they're already relaunching superman

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, the last one wasn't so much a relaunch. It had lots of references to the continuity of the Donner films, so it was kind of a vague sequel. This is a start-over-from-scratch approach, developed by Christopher Nolan and David Goyer. But I'm guessing their outline didn't have much slow motion in it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah I knew that and I think the movie wasn't as bad as a lot of people made it out to be. i'm kinda worried about the new one honestly, I need more faith in Zach Synder and I have a lot of faith in Christopher Nolan but then again remember when Tim Burton for some reason was considered to do Superman because Batman did so well?

    ReplyDelete
  10. We saw Superman Returns together, remember? I liked a lot about it, but will be the first to admit that it's flawed. I wish Singer had been given a chance to do a sequel, I think he would have knocked it out of the park with a second swing.

    Man of Steel is still an unknown, for sure, but I still try to remain cautiously optimistic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. And there is reason to be optimistic, but remember the complaints you had about watchmen, you liked it but again there were a lot of moments where the characters just weren't right, a lot of shots "because they looked cool" and that bothers me a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know, but I still try to remain positive about superhero movies until I know they're doomed (if Brett Ratner or Mark Steven Johnson is directing, that's generally a sign).

    ReplyDelete
  13. yeah yeah yeah the men that ruined Daredevil and Xmen respectively. I like that respectable directors are doing superhero movies these days. I mean Christopher Nolan was up for an Oscar this year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah, Nolan and Favreau upped the ante in 2008.

    ReplyDelete