Thursday, May 26, 2011

Winter's Bone

I'm afraid this is going to be a short, shitty review, guys. So shitty, in fact, I'm not even going to post a link on Twitter.

It's not that the movie is shitty, it's very good. I enjoyed it immensely. It's just the exact kind of movie I have a hard time describing what I like.

Winter's Bone follows Ree (Jennifer Lawrence), a 17-year-old girl, raising her brother and sister on her own, as she tries to track down her crank dealing father, who has gone missing two weeks prior. Her quest takes her deeper and deeper into the hell of the Ozarks underworld, and the people her dad was mixed up with. It's gritty and suspenseful, and the acting is all around great. It follows the basic structure of the film noir genre, but putting a teenage girl in the place of the hard boiled detective. Ree gets put through the wringer, but she never flinches.

This is the kind of movie that I know is going to be good, but because it looks like a downer, I tend to avoid watching. We had the DVD from Netflix since early February, and we just got around to it last weekend. I don't mind dark movies, but if you set a movie like Winter's Bone next to something weird or goofy, I tend to lean towards the silly movies. I've surely missed out on a lot of great movies because of this.

So yeah, Winter's Bone: Check it out, but if you're like me, don't ask for the disc until you plan on watching it, because you will let it sit around for three months while watching Mac and Me instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment