Monday, January 31, 2011

The Kids Are All Right


I've been stuck on this blog entry all weekend. I enjoyed The Kids Are All Right, but I don't have too much to say about it. Sometimes I come across movies like that. I liked the story, I liked the characters and performances.

If you didn't know, The Kids Are All Right is about two teenagers who have been raised by their lesbian moms, who decide to contact their biological father, an anonymous sperm donor. His sudden appearance in their lives brings craziness and throws everything up in the air.

Everyone is good. One of the things I was most impressed with was how believable they all felt as a family. There are early, smaller moments, before things get all complicated that really capture what living with your family and seeing them every day of your life feels like. Annette Bening and Julianne Moore really sell themselves as a believable couple. Their chemistry feels realer than most straight movie couples and waaaaaay realer than most straight actors playing gay couples.

I like Mark Ruffalo, too, even though he causes a lot of trouble in it, and doesn't exactly redeem himself at the end.

So, I'm cutting it short right here. All in all, it was a pretty good movie, so I'll give it a B.

No comments:

Post a Comment